Skip to main content

My first month on Zwift-Running

My FB posts have been all about Zwift the last month.  It's my new 'bright' shiny object in my life.  It's been fun, frustrating at times, but has brought a ton of fun and new 'friends' into my world.

As usual I stalked my Tri Team, Endurance Nation, posts about Zwift.  I had looked into it back in '15 but did not have the patience.  Reading all about Zwift from our 'Wicked Smart' team members made me want to check it out again.  So much information and such as following made me a bit overwhelmed.  I like 'knowing' the answers before jumping in so started doing more research. Finding more resources.

Got myself a new Wahoo Kickr to replace my Computrainer and the CT was going to take more effort on my part and Zwift already seemed complicated.

So, how did I start?  I started with RUNNING!  Yes, you can run on Zwift.  It's not totally released to the public and it's not as fancy as the main app but it has a WAY smaller learning curve.  All I needed was my laptop and my garmin footpod and my Treadmill.  Steps....put gamin standard footpod on my foot, log into the Zwift application on my laptop, click on run tab on sensor page, search for my sensor.  Sensor found.....now ....start treadmill and start running.  It prompted the first time for a sample run.  Did that.  placed laptop where I can see my avatar...and off I ran with my Treadmill set at 12 mm pace....which was pretty dang close to the foot pod.  Ran my 'mile' per day for several days.  ok....got my comfort level up with this 'new' tech.  My avatar is usually running, but seems to walk at 4.9, 4.8.  Oh well, guess that just means I need to speed up a bit.


I have joined the Facebook group - Zwift Runners and am hooked....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Days on the Vasa- Ann's Experiment

DID YOU SWIM TODAY???  I DID FOR EACH OF THE LAST 3O DAYS! Backstory: I did very little swimming as a child.  When I was 8(I think) I fell off the high dive board at the pool...and missed the pool and hit the concrete.  That pretty much ended my swimming.  I didn't get in a pool until I had to do a swim test in high school in CA.  There they told me to get out of the pool within a couple of minutes as they thought i might drown. Yep the struggle is real.   Fast forward to a lunch after an ice hockey practice when a friend says - you should do a triathlon.  You bike and run, might as well do a triathlon. I DON'T swim.  So learn...and another friend said she'd do the triathlon with me.  So....I found someone to help me swim - Total immersion class.  The first lesson - "stop kicking - I don't know what you are doing but when you kick you are moving backwards."  Again...the struggle is real.  First triathlon....survived the swim, panicked a bi

My Favorite words - HAPPY IRONMAN DAY!

Happy 7th Ironman Day!!!!  Pretty much my favorite words!!! The day Heather and I decided to join Krista in the journey to 2017 Ironman Arizona.  Photo credit to Sherpa Sjohn.  Anyone who knows me knows it's an easy sell to get me to sign up for a race.   But I already had another race on my schedule....Ironman Lake Placid!  July 23, 2017 Little behind on writing that one.....maybe I'll do a quick one for that after I have finished this one as the LP was pretty darn special!! AND NOW AZ Little behind on writing that one.....maybe I'll do a quick one for that after I have finished this one as the LP was pretty darn special!! Arizona 2016 Arizona 2017 Swim 1:33:26 1:29:19 Trans 1 11:26 6:45 Bike 6:09:14 6:12:04 Avg HR: 125 Avg PWR: 133 IF: 0.80 VI: 1.02 Avg HR: 129 Avg PWR: 132 IF: 0.71 VI: 1.03 Trans 2 8:12 8:41 Run   5:32:01 5:26:43 Run Pace 12:40 12:28 Overall   13:34:19 13:23:32  Last year I had a coach as I w

Drum roll...First Group Ride what's it like?!

I read and read about all the different group rides.  I figured I'd go for it.  I left work early so I could get home in time to get all set up.  Wednesday at 4:45 pm pst there is a ride called:  WKG 2for1 THE AMERICAS the info says: Whether you are recovering from a race, preparing for an event or just fancy a fun spin with friends, the WKG ‘2 for 1’ is the perfect leg loosener! Join us for 1 hour every Wednesday evening for a controlled social ride around the flat Watopia course (Zwift schedule permitting). The ride leader will look to hold 2.0 w/kg throughout the 1 hour long ride but will be happy to help anyone that has been detached from the back of the group. There will be optional sprints and a final minute sprint race, if you fancy it :) Please tag your Zwift name with ‘2FOR1’. For example ‘your name2FOR1’ I look forward to seeing you on course. How do I interpret 2.0 w/kg? 160 lbs you should hold 145 watts for the ride 150 lbs  you should hold 140 watts for th