Skip to main content

Drum roll...First Group Ride what's it like?!

I read and read about all the different group rides.  I figured I'd go for it.  I left work early so I could get home in time to get all set up. 

Wednesday at 4:45 pm pst there is a ride called: WKG 2for1 THE AMERICAS

the info says:
Whether you are recovering from a race, preparing for an event or just fancy a fun spin with friends, the WKG ‘2 for 1’ is the perfect leg loosener! Join us for 1 hour every Wednesday evening for a controlled social ride around the flat Watopia course (Zwift schedule permitting). The ride leader will look to hold 2.0 w/kg throughout the 1 hour long ride but will be happy to help anyone that has been detached from the back of the group. There will be optional sprints and a final minute sprint race, if you fancy it :) Please tag your Zwift name with ‘2FOR1’. For example ‘your name2FOR1’ I look forward to seeing you on course.

How do I interpret 2.0 w/kg?
160 lbs you should hold 145 watts for the ride
150 lbs you should hold 140 watts for the ride
140 lbs you should hold 130 watts for the ride
Do the math....

Logged into Zwift on my lap top, found my sensors, Zwift logged me in to ride.  See pic below.

The shot above shows 32 seconds until event starts.
Didn't get a screen shot on the WKG group ride..but you get the idea.

1) you want to JOIN your event.
2) if you are 'JOINED' you will be on the pier waiting with the other 'joiners' 
3) you don't want to wait until the last minute....log in early!
Get ready to ROLL when it starts.

What to look for on your ride:
The YELLOW BEACON.
This is the ride leader - STAY within 50 meters of the ride leader.  Don't go ahead..but don't get too far behind either.  Learn to focus on the 'light'...or 'go to the light'.  Really you can't miss the beacon.
You will see 'flyers' who just ride like it's a race...and you might see leaders take off too...and not be at the advertised pace.  - dumb...just like in real life people can be jerks. So...stay with the beacon.




The leader will text to the group queues on various things - like good roll out....stay together..I am doing the 1.8 w/kg pace for the rest of the group to leave the pier and so on.  the leader texts are displayed in the middle of the screen in yellow.  All other texts are displayed on the left hand side banner.  But with LARGE groups you may only see the banter texts for the 100 riders around you.  

So back to the WKG 2for1 THE AMERICAS the ride leader Rich is GREAT.  He keeps the group together and it is as advertised.  It's hard for me, it's not a spin ride, but it is super fun.  I have to pay attention...as there is a DRAFT effect in this world as it is in the real world.  When you 'lose' a wheel in front of you there will be a 'close the gap' message to you indicating 2 m or some other measure.  PAY ATTENTION.....pedal a bit harder and catch up.  Don't lose that wheel....but if you do stay with the next person and don't lose that one.  You will be dropped and if the leader is doing as they are supposed to - if you get dropped - it's your fault..not the leader.  There may be a sweeper that comes to get you but you must be @ the advertised w/kg otherwise they may not come help you.

These are VOLUNTEERS just like the real world..and are trying to do the best they can, so I figure I'll do my best.

As of this post I have done this ride 3 times and love it.  I'll miss it on Jan 4 due to a dental appointment, but it will be a standard in my routine.  

OTHER TIPS:
There is a Zwift windows app for laptop = highly recommend you use that for trainer control.  The environment is VERY stable I have not had any connection issues.

There is an ios and android app: Zwift Mobile link.  This is easy to use for most everything.  I don't use for controlling trainer as everything I have read/heard suggests to have a set up like mine.  i.e. lap top for controlling the trainer..mobile link for the fun stuff - texting, ride ons, joining events, following other zwifters.

oh....this has happily has not happened to me, but do NOT select the TT bike in the settings for your bike.  For a triathlete, it seems natural...but don't do it.  You can't be helped from the draft.  You want to have the draft.  How do you know - well look at settings 






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Days on the Vasa- Ann's Experiment

DID YOU SWIM TODAY???  I DID FOR EACH OF THE LAST 3O DAYS! Backstory: I did very little swimming as a child.  When I was 8(I think) I fell off the high dive board at the pool...and missed the pool and hit the concrete.  That pretty much ended my swimming.  I didn't get in a pool until I had to do a swim test in high school in CA.  There they told me to get out of the pool within a couple of minutes as they thought i might drown. Yep the struggle is real.   Fast forward to a lunch after an ice hockey practice when a friend says - you should do a triathlon.  You bike and run, might as well do a triathlon. I DON'T swim.  So learn...and another friend said she'd do the triathlon with me.  So....I found someone to help me swim - Total immersion class.  The first lesson - "stop kicking - I don't know what you are doing but when you kick you are moving backwards."  Again...the struggle is real.  First triathlon....survived the swim, panicked a bi

My Favorite words - HAPPY IRONMAN DAY!

Happy 7th Ironman Day!!!!  Pretty much my favorite words!!! The day Heather and I decided to join Krista in the journey to 2017 Ironman Arizona.  Photo credit to Sherpa Sjohn.  Anyone who knows me knows it's an easy sell to get me to sign up for a race.   But I already had another race on my schedule....Ironman Lake Placid!  July 23, 2017 Little behind on writing that one.....maybe I'll do a quick one for that after I have finished this one as the LP was pretty darn special!! AND NOW AZ Little behind on writing that one.....maybe I'll do a quick one for that after I have finished this one as the LP was pretty darn special!! Arizona 2016 Arizona 2017 Swim 1:33:26 1:29:19 Trans 1 11:26 6:45 Bike 6:09:14 6:12:04 Avg HR: 125 Avg PWR: 133 IF: 0.80 VI: 1.02 Avg HR: 129 Avg PWR: 132 IF: 0.71 VI: 1.03 Trans 2 8:12 8:41 Run   5:32:01 5:26:43 Run Pace 12:40 12:28 Overall   13:34:19 13:23:32  Last year I had a coach as I w