Skip to main content

Let's Kill the Bike! The training journey

On July 2, IM Arizona still had foundation slots available....so ........ I signed up for a race that wasn't on my radar.  Miss planner that I am was looking at 2017 races instead of 2016 

 


So, never say never right.  IM Arizona was 'never' on my list of Ironman's to do.  I really didn't want to do the 3 loop bike course nor am also a fan of wind.   Give me a hill climb any day, having said that after my spectacular bike split @ CDA half I was excited about putting the work into the bike especially in light of still recovering from my stress reaction.

With the stress reaction and not sure how to deal with putting my training plan together I decided to hire a coach. 

My coaching application/information was as follows - the form just 'asked about me' and why I wanted a coach...so here goes.....

"Signed up for IM Arizona - 11/20/16, this will be my 4th IM. 

IM history:
2 have been coached (by different coaches), 1 followed plan from Endurance Nation - able to get my marathon time down by 1 hour. This was done on the IM Whistler course - so very proud of the accomplishment. 4th was EN plan but no real goals on time.    Usually do IM distance every other year - Arizona is my first exception. I started IM Tahoe the same year as whistler - 4 weeks after whistler- pulled myself from the race after finishing the bike.  Miserable course/day.
Why did I sign up on my off year? - I had a FANTASTIC half iron @ CDA on jun 26.  I KILLED the bike course with a time of  3:15.  I have done 15 half irons and this was close to my fastest time - the other close times were all flat courses.  I went into the race knowing i would walk the run.  I had a 3:01 half marathon.  I did very little swim training hours - my strength training saved my behind.
Where I am now:
1) recovering stress reaction - 5/1/16. - which is why I walked the half iron.  I trained to walk it - did a build up for it 2 hour walk, 10 mile walk etc. was smart. Signed up for IM AZ knowing I will potentially walk much of the 'run'.  Injury due to shoe change.  First injury in 10 years of training.
2) Kettle bell strength training 2 times per week. - this has paid HUGE dividends on my swim and biking.
3) Swim is the swim (my IM times have ALL been 1:30ish except Choo - downhill swim. ) - all 15 half irons are around 42-48 min no matter what training i have done. In pool I am 2:05/100 and maybe on a good day after 6 months 2 day / wk coached wo 1:45/100 - return on investment is not great for me.
4) love biking.

What I am looking for:
1)  Train with power on the bike and am a data/gadget geek, so hoping for a coach who enjoys the power/data side of things.
2)  Understands run/walk and willing to work with a walk/runner - or recovering from injury.  I *like* running but don't LOVE running

 Goals:
Train to have the best bike time I can have @ Arizona. 
Take advantage of being in Kona the week of IM Kona - I am there from Oct 1 - 10th
Take advantage of being in CDA IM weekend
Half Iron 9/10/16 as baseline - haven't signed up but thought it might be a good check in race as it's local and flat.
Planning on doing an oly race next weekend to see where my bike threshold is currently.
Looking for support and guidance managing returning to run and having a KICK ASS bike.

Me:
I am a very motivated athlete.  I have done Triathlon for 10 years - it is a lifestyle. I do this for FUN, health and improving myself and competing with myself.  I love mentoring other athletes, learning, growing through training.  This year I got my USAT coaching certification and just go a kettlebell instructor certification - clearly it's my 'off' year of IM.. :-)   I have high expectations from myself as well as my coach.   I am a plan follower....mentally tough and hard worker.  Don't need a lot of hand holding.  Usually don't have a ton of questions.  I update my coach with data.  I am healthy - other than stress fracture.

My profession is a systems analyst - thus - my brain is always thinking and I analyze everything to understand why.

This is ME - hope this provides enough information to allow coaches to say - no way man....or cool - I'd really like to work with her! "



Aug 1, 2016 T-111 days....The interview conversation went something like this...

Coach Jami:  What are your goals?
Me:  Kill the bike
Coach Jami:  Ok do you have a specific goal?
Me: No - don't know - I just want to be fast - we'll figure out how fast once we do the training. If I can do CDA @ 17 mph I should be that or faster for AZ.
Coach Jami:  Cool - what about Swim/Run
Me: swim will be what it is...I am consistent @ 1:32-1:35 for all my IMs as long as I hit somewhere in that range all good.  My run - I figure I'll walk it since I can't run yet and we don't have a lot of time work on that.  No real goals other than the bike. 
Coach Jami:  Anything else?
Me: I hate core work, I know I need to do it, but I'd rather do Kettlebell stuff.  I just got certified in KB so want to continue that.

 With that - we were in business.  It was going to be a little different for me as we were doing HR training vs power/pace.  I was excited to be doing something different and having a plan. I had been making myself crazy trying to figure out if I would just follow what my training buddy was doing on long rides and then do a mix of other plans....

August 6 - Lake Tye Triathlon
Plan was pretty much like the conversation with coach Jami about AZ.
Swam the swim....not best not worst....
The BIKE - Killed it - I just pushed.  Didn't pay attention to anything just pedaled fast.
I passed a lady in my age group and she said - wow you are fast! I said don't worry I have to walk the run, so you'll pass me.  We both laughed.
Sure enough, she passed me on the run and made the podium.  Me, I was just thrilled with my bike split.  I had a decent 'walk' to truly finish strong!  It was a great race!  Thanks to Kathleen C for capturing my signature finish line pose.
 


My initial training block started week on Aug 1.  

My first week had a Maximum Aerobic Function Test(HR test) for my bike. Basically, it comprised of a warm up building my hr to a certain rate then keep it at that rate for 20 min and not let the hr fluctuate.  Yep I flubbed that up....chalk it up to learning.  I needed to figure out my trainer.  

The next week included my first Time Trials in all 3 disciplines.
Swim - unimpressive - 500 yards = 10:41 - 2:08 / 100 yards
Bike - need more trainer 'training' = 5 miles = avg hr 154 power 177
Walk - 2 mile speed walk = 27:12. avg pace= 13:34 avg hr 108

In August, I had signed up to do a 50 mile bike ride for for Obliteride and swim for life - swim across lake Washington.  Coach Jami incorporated those into the plan.







The first month of training was getting 'back' on a training schedule.  Getting a base started, then into strength.  By this time, my training buddy had backed out of doing the race, so I only had worry about myself. Living in North Bend and having a 35 mile one-way commute each day means being efficient with how I train.  It can be hard to find folks to ride/run and deciding if the extra time is worth the investment and ultimately help me reach my goal.  Since I was 'on my own' I decided to do my training on my own, less drama, planning and in the end more efficient.

Biking:
After having a computrainer for 5 years, I think this is the most I have actually utilized it more completely!  I learned how to better set up prescribed workouts.  I purchased the perf-pro application which has the courses set up.  Not only did I ride the AZ a few times, I rode CDA for some hill workouts. So now I have trainer road as an option or perf-pro to choose from.  Awesome when you actually get to fully utilize the tools you invest in. I am super happy with the knowledge I have come away with with the bike trainer.

Swim
After that first 'fantastic swim' - lol -  I re-joined Seattle Athletic club where I could be reminded how to swim again by Teresa Webb.  Thanks to Teresa for all her patience with reminding me and helping me get back to my stroke.  I received more feed back in my first two swims than I have in 4 years.  I so appreciated her giving me the reminders and continuing to give me those reminders each week.  As an adult swimmer things just don't always click.   She even got me out of the pool so I could feel the 'dry land' movement to try and replicate it in the water.  I used to think swimming was more like recovery, but these swims are WORK and mental work at that! 

Walk/Run:
I had a warm up routine I used DILIGENTLY for everyone of my walk/run workouts.  It takes about 10 minutes and is a combination of my kb warmups and some running drills.  This is new to me, but with my stress reaction and all the reading/training I have done I KNOW we should all warm up, but don't necessarily do it.  

The goal of these workouts were really focused on strengthening my walk.  I had 4 walk/run workouts per week.  Some were fast walk, some were 1 min walk/1 min run , various intervals, all within prescribed hr ranges.  Again, I used my garmin technology to help keep me under control. We did nothing on pace, only HR and time.

My longest run/walk workout was 13.1 miles - Lake Washington half Nov 5  we practiced run 8 min/walk 1. Again, no pace only HR.


T- 55 days
My next TT were better.....
Swim - progress- 500 yards = 10:03 - 2:00 / 100 yards - THANKS Teresa!

Bike - 5 miles = avg hr 155 power 183 - yes that's 6 watt difference in just a few weeks.

Walk - 2 mile speed walk = 26:13. avg pace= 13:05 avg hr 112

The next block of training kicked my butt.  Ironman training usually starts for me 8-9 months out so by the time you get to that last push of volume it doesn't seem as big of a jump and maybe I am like the 'lobster in the water as it heats up slowly'.  This time I was like holy cow we are already to the final big build.  

The schedule had me doing 2 a days on most days.  Run/Walk in the morning, Bike in evening.  Swim in am, recovery bike in afternoon. etc.  


T- 20 days

Swim - progress- 500 yards = 10:00 - 2:00 / 100 yards - I was tired...

Bike - 5 miles = avg hr 151 power 193 - yes that's 10 watt difference in just a few weeks and HR lower.  Perfect build for the race.

Walk - 2 mile speed walk = 26:04. avg pace= 13:01 avg hr 112


My TTs were great reminders that the training was working.  

FINALLY nailed my TT test for the bike.  I did everything right to get the bike, trainer and computer set up correctly.  

I was finally running and feeling strong.  I nailed the Lake Washington half with a time of 2:30.  Avg HR 124 - Avg pace -11:24!  Woo hoo!

We are READY - We have a PLAN and I am ready to race! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Days on the Vasa- Ann's Experiment

DID YOU SWIM TODAY???  I DID FOR EACH OF THE LAST 3O DAYS! Backstory: I did very little swimming as a child.  When I was 8(I think) I fell off the high dive board at the pool...and missed the pool and hit the concrete.  That pretty much ended my swimming.  I didn't get in a pool until I had to do a swim test in high school in CA.  There they told me to get out of the pool within a couple of minutes as they thought i might drown. Yep the struggle is real.   Fast forward to a lunch after an ice hockey practice when a friend says - you should do a triathlon.  You bike and run, might as well do a triathlon. I DON'T swim.  So learn...and another friend said she'd do the triathlon with me.  So....I found someone to help me swim - Total immersion class.  The first lesson - "stop kicking - I don't know what you are doing but when you kick you are moving backwards."  Again...the struggle is real.  First triathlon....survived the swim, panicked a bi

My Favorite words - HAPPY IRONMAN DAY!

Happy 7th Ironman Day!!!!  Pretty much my favorite words!!! The day Heather and I decided to join Krista in the journey to 2017 Ironman Arizona.  Photo credit to Sherpa Sjohn.  Anyone who knows me knows it's an easy sell to get me to sign up for a race.   But I already had another race on my schedule....Ironman Lake Placid!  July 23, 2017 Little behind on writing that one.....maybe I'll do a quick one for that after I have finished this one as the LP was pretty darn special!! AND NOW AZ Little behind on writing that one.....maybe I'll do a quick one for that after I have finished this one as the LP was pretty darn special!! Arizona 2016 Arizona 2017 Swim 1:33:26 1:29:19 Trans 1 11:26 6:45 Bike 6:09:14 6:12:04 Avg HR: 125 Avg PWR: 133 IF: 0.80 VI: 1.02 Avg HR: 129 Avg PWR: 132 IF: 0.71 VI: 1.03 Trans 2 8:12 8:41 Run   5:32:01 5:26:43 Run Pace 12:40 12:28 Overall   13:34:19 13:23:32  Last year I had a coach as I w

Drum roll...First Group Ride what's it like?!

I read and read about all the different group rides.  I figured I'd go for it.  I left work early so I could get home in time to get all set up.  Wednesday at 4:45 pm pst there is a ride called:  WKG 2for1 THE AMERICAS the info says: Whether you are recovering from a race, preparing for an event or just fancy a fun spin with friends, the WKG ‘2 for 1’ is the perfect leg loosener! Join us for 1 hour every Wednesday evening for a controlled social ride around the flat Watopia course (Zwift schedule permitting). The ride leader will look to hold 2.0 w/kg throughout the 1 hour long ride but will be happy to help anyone that has been detached from the back of the group. There will be optional sprints and a final minute sprint race, if you fancy it :) Please tag your Zwift name with ‘2FOR1’. For example ‘your name2FOR1’ I look forward to seeing you on course. How do I interpret 2.0 w/kg? 160 lbs you should hold 145 watts for the ride 150 lbs  you should hold 140 watts for th