Skip to main content

My first Zwift Ride-Group and personal workout

Venturing out of the running world..I decided on Dec 6 I decided I'd try a Zwift Group workout.  I got up, booted up my laptop attached it to my trainer and TV monitor.

Logged into the Zwift Screen and joined a Zwift Group work out.  Once joining I found my avatar on the 'pier' and was in the virtual world.  The warm up was nice....made the next interval and basically lasted about 38 minutes of the workout before quitting the ride.  Ok - yea not the best choice of a work out when one hadn't done ANY FTP work in some time. lol.

What I learned...
1) I was able to join a group workout.
2) it's true you stay together in a group workout.
3) it was still fun to watch the avatar screen.

Research continues....

Links I use constantly:
https://zwiftblog.com/ - all things Zwifty....independent.

https://zwiftpower.com - I LIVE in this site.  I love it...since I have registered I am able to see my time zone rides much easier.  If you hit the i - it opens up and gives you the event information.

Next up....workout on my own....I joined the FB group called: Zwift Fitness Group
At the time - Coach Pav Bryan was giving a  FREE 4 week plan for FTP build.  FREE and help on how to use the group workouts. Done!  Got the plan and did another workout on Zwift.  The plan had the workouts already built in Training Peaks.  His email informed how to upload to Zwift.  More information on the virtual world.

My work out view and experience.  Since it was my workout it was less stressful.  I started on my own and only paid attention to me.  

The little green music stand looking think is the display to show that my avatar is doing a workout.  Green indicates I am on an interval.  
The window on the left shows the entire workout.  The middle is the interval I am doing with the time left/watts i am supposed to hold vs what i am holding.  The far right - high is the MAP of the where i am riding.  I am the orange triangle and the blue dots are other riders.
There is also the grade displayed but that DOES NOT matter when you are doing a group workout as your trainer 'should' default to ERG meaning the elevation does not matter, you don't shift, the watts are managed by the trainer.  The long window are all the riders near me.  this is where you can see chatter from other riders.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Days on the Vasa- Ann's Experiment

DID YOU SWIM TODAY???  I DID FOR EACH OF THE LAST 3O DAYS! Backstory: I did very little swimming as a child.  When I was 8(I think) I fell off the high dive board at the pool...and missed the pool and hit the concrete.  That pretty much ended my swimming.  I didn't get in a pool until I had to do a swim test in high school in CA.  There they told me to get out of the pool within a couple of minutes as they thought i might drown. Yep the struggle is real.   Fast forward to a lunch after an ice hockey practice when a friend says - you should do a triathlon.  You bike and run, might as well do a triathlon. I DON'T swim.  So learn...and another friend said she'd do the triathlon with me.  So....I found someone to help me swim - Total immersion class.  The first lesson - "stop kicking - I don't know what you are doing but when you kick you are moving backwards."  Again...the struggle is real.  First triathlon......
Since Ironman AZ I have been a mostly indoor athlete.   As an indoor athlete I have found that I need to have a check list or 'think' about things that I take for granted when doing training outdoors or in another location. During my Zwift rides, I no longer use my garmin bike computer on my trainer rides as it's all visible and shown to me on Zwift.  My area for training is all set up so I don't really have to think about all that is involved.  I am super lucky to have a dedicated training space. So why am I writing this....well as a reminder to me to get my head in the game when doing something different. Camp Time!  Thankfully my running watch was all set up to go didn't need reminders - other than charging which happens normally since I wear it every day. Few years back after being on the trainer for extended amounts of time the first ride outside I FORGOT to unclip at a stop sign....leaving the parking lot.  Yep - I fell over.  I never forgot t...
Zwift Set up – according to Ann: There are TWO apps for Zwift. The orange is what runs the trainer/running virtual world with Avatars. The BLUE Mobile Link is where you can see the Events, Other Zwifters, text on the rides/runs. MY SETUP: (Your set up may vary and have different results) The Orange app is on my LAPTOP using my Garmin ANT which displays the ‘GAME’   The Blue Mobile Link is on my IPAD or IPHONE – this is where I text – handy tip   - use VOICE to text for easy communication.   The mic is located on the key board – press to enable. This set up works for me as I don't have to worry about drop outs.  To use in a gym you may need to play around as there maybe different network connections.  The apps need to be on the SAME network. Also, if you change your password on one app - make sure to SIGN OUT/back in to the other devices. :) How do I know the difference: This is what the game screen looks like. Next screen – Run is ‘or...