Skip to main content
Since Ironman AZ I have been a mostly indoor athlete.   As an indoor athlete I have found that I need to have a check list or 'think' about things that I take for granted when doing training outdoors or in another location.

During my Zwift rides, I no longer use my garmin bike computer on my trainer rides as it's all visible and shown to me on Zwift.  My area for training is all set up so I don't really have to think about all that is involved.  I am super lucky to have a dedicated training space.

So why am I writing this....well as a reminder to me to get my head in the game when doing something different.

Camp Time!  Thankfully my running watch was all set up to go didn't need reminders - other than charging which happens normally since I wear it every day.

Few years back after being on the trainer for extended amounts of time the first ride outside I FORGOT to unclip at a stop sign....leaving the parking lot.  Yep - I fell over.  I never forgot that.  At camp the first thing I said to myself was don't forget to clip out!

The bike computer was my issue....this time.
I have a garmin edge 1000, which I forgot, has different bike profiles for each of my n+1 bikes.  In theory that is great - assuming you remember to actually change the profiles.

Before my Andy Potts Chula Vista training camp, I was a 'good camper' and downloaded all the routes to my garmin.  this would allow for turn by turn guidance which is why I originally bought this lovely computer.  Well first day of riding somehow it all worked - my upload went correctly to Strava and displayed my elevation.  I didn't need turn by turn as we stayed close to our location plus I was being lead on the warm up by the Andy Potts. We were brining up the 'non-flyer' group - actually doing a nice warm up.

The next three rides - my computer decided I was on an indoor ride.  No turn by turn no elevation.  Super bummed as we climbed....and climbed.....and  climbed.  All I got was my time, hr, pwr.  Bummer!  Lesson learned ...do a recheck and have a checklist of what do double check.

Tour of Sufferladria began today...and yet again, I was somewhat prepared.  What I forgot this time??  Using a different bike that I had set up to sell which means....I didn't have a bike computer holder .....electrical tape to the rescue.  Taped the computer to my bike stem.

Next issue - forgot we changed the stem.  My new bike had a longer stem, so I had switched the stems.  Not a big deal as it didn't give me any problems today - hopefully I will say the same by next Sunday after 9 days of cycling.

And...the next issue.....as I was recovering after one of the intervals my seat changed position. Yikes. Luckily I was able to get through the last part of the workout - jump off and tighten the seat. luckily I had worried about the fact the actual seat post might need adjusting so I had brought my own tool to fix that and it was the correct size to tighten the seat.  Crisis avoided.

So....lessons learned...be prepared and check the gadgets.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Days on the Vasa- Ann's Experiment

DID YOU SWIM TODAY???  I DID FOR EACH OF THE LAST 3O DAYS! Backstory: I did very little swimming as a child.  When I was 8(I think) I fell off the high dive board at the pool...and missed the pool and hit the concrete.  That pretty much ended my swimming.  I didn't get in a pool until I had to do a swim test in high school in CA.  There they told me to get out of the pool within a couple of minutes as they thought i might drown. Yep the struggle is real.   Fast forward to a lunch after an ice hockey practice when a friend says - you should do a triathlon.  You bike and run, might as well do a triathlon. I DON'T swim.  So learn...and another friend said she'd do the triathlon with me.  So....I found someone to help me swim - Total immersion class.  The first lesson - "stop kicking - I don't know what you are doing but when you kick you are moving backwards."  Again...the struggle is real.  First triathlon......
Zwift Set up – according to Ann: There are TWO apps for Zwift. The orange is what runs the trainer/running virtual world with Avatars. The BLUE Mobile Link is where you can see the Events, Other Zwifters, text on the rides/runs. MY SETUP: (Your set up may vary and have different results) The Orange app is on my LAPTOP using my Garmin ANT which displays the ‘GAME’   The Blue Mobile Link is on my IPAD or IPHONE – this is where I text – handy tip   - use VOICE to text for easy communication.   The mic is located on the key board – press to enable. This set up works for me as I don't have to worry about drop outs.  To use in a gym you may need to play around as there maybe different network connections.  The apps need to be on the SAME network. Also, if you change your password on one app - make sure to SIGN OUT/back in to the other devices. :) How do I know the difference: This is what the game screen looks like. Next screen – Run is ‘or...